10 July 2009

Final week at the Kagisano Society Women’s Shelter Project

Our last week at the Women’s Shelter was rather uneventful. We spent most of our work days finishing up our organizational analysis paper and working on a press release.

Wednesday, we took the day off to present about our experiences with this education abroad program at a counseling conference at UB. We discussed the cultural experiences we had whilst working with our NGOs.

By Friday, I was anxious for a safari in Kasane, but also sad to say goodbye to the Women’s Shelter staff and volunteers! We began the day by finishing up our paper, which will provide recommendations to the organization to strengthen weak areas.

After finishing our paper, around lunchtime, Gape and Koketso told us to hang around the conference room for a small going-away party. They began setting up soda, tea, cookies, chips, nuts, raisins, and other goodies on the table. Mma Letso, one of the counselors, said some kind words to us, and then we all gathered to eat.

Gape turned on one of our new favorite songs, Matshidiso by Kgotla—a Setswana song beloved by Batswana. The director got up and started dancing, followed by the accountant and some of the counselors!

After Matshidiso, the director began leading Setswana hymns and everyone else joined it. I was brought to tears by the singing and dancing. The family atmosphere of the Shelter was suddenly overwhelmingly apparent, making me appreciate the connections I’d made with the people there. However, it also made me realize how sad I was to go!

They asked us to say a few words, so I thanked them for the experience and then promptly burst into tears.

I don’t think anything could have replaced my experience at the Women’s Shelter. It was very frustrating for me at times, as it seems it is for all of the staff and volunteers, but I am so in awe of their ability to push through and keep the organization afloat despite the challenges.

I am so happy that I had the chance to work at the Shelter and I wish them the best of luck in the future. I’ll keep in touch with them and do my best to keep you up-to-date on how to help them!

2 comments:

  1. I knew that you would find your place at the shelter. You made an impact there, however big or small.

    Looking forward to you coming home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting! I volunteered with Randi and Kristina at a women's shelter this weekend and it is amazing to see that the problems the African women have are the same problems the American women have. Might be interesting to write a report on the similarities of domestic abuse in America and Africa.

    ReplyDelete