02 July 2009

Gaborone's Natural Beauty

Wednesday was President's Day here in Bots (that's what people here call Botswana, "Gabs" is Gaborone) so we got the day off to explore some of the natural wonders around the city. Our first stop after lunch was the Gaborone Game Park, where Taps and Ali (the transport guys) drove our bus through the bush. We saw all sorts of wildlife and enjoyed the scenery.

Karabo explained that this game park doesn't have the "Big Five": Hippos, Rhinos, Elephants, Lions, and Giraffes. I didn't care though--I was incredibly impressed with the variety of animals there.

Since pictures are worth a thousand words...

Some antelope--I think these are impala



A Vervet Monkey

Ostrich! I don't think I'd seen a live ostrich before. They are MUCH bigger than I imagined!



The monkeys near the picnic area allowed us to get really close. Obviously people have been feeding them. They're not stupid! They know where to hang out!




Our second stop in exploring Gaborone was Kgale Hill, a very prominent, rocky "hill" (small mountain,) which is visible from most of Gaborone. We expected a hike but got a climb! The terrain was rougher than I expected and my heart was pouding by the time I got to the top, but the view was worth it! We were able to watch the sunset there and walk down as it was getting dark. Unfortunately, my digital camera started dying while we were on the mountain so I only have a few digital photos. Luckily, I had my old fashioned film camera! Of course I won't be able to see those until I get home!

I made it to the top! Yay!

I love me a good sunburst photo!


A view of the area around Gaborone


A view of Gaborone

No comments:

Post a Comment